NEW YORK NEW JERSEY REGIONAL JOINT BOARD
The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board, Workers United a/w SEIU is a strong, progressive union. We are dedicated to fighting an unequal economic system. The Joint Board represents members in retail and manufacturing. We are currently looking for a union representative based in New York City to represent a newly formed local union. Candidates who have a passion for justice, a willingness to learn, solid communication skills, a strong work ethic, an ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours (including nights and weekends) and the drive to make a significant and measurable impact on the world are encouraged to apply.
Union Representatives are responsible for all stages of union building. This includes, but is not limited to working with shop floor leaders, representation and contract enforcement, developing a base of workers dedicated to growing and strengthening the union, organizing worker committees, and mobilizing workers during contract campaigns.
Duties will vary but will include the following:
• Participate in and/or lead collective bargaining with member bargaining teams
- Represent workers, including aggressive contract enforcement
• Recruit and develop leaders
• Build and maintain worker committees
- Design and coordinate actions, including public actions
• Build relationships with workers through home and site visits
• Run worker meetings
• Develop union materials
• Work with existing membership to support organizing campaigns
• Develop and circulate materials
• Develop workshop materials
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish or English/Korean
or other languages spoken by our members
- Commitment to social and economic justice
• Excellent communication skills
• Basic computer skills
• The ability to manage challenging relationships
• Eagerness to take on leadership role and increasing responsibility
• Can build consensus among diverse groups with varying interests
• Ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team environment
• The ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to changing requirements
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently
• High comfort level talking to people of diverse backgrounds
• Enthusiastic commitment to strengthening the labor movement
• Early morning, night, weekend work and travel are required
SALARY and BENEFITS: There is a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé to: Julie Kelly, General Manager email@example.com NO CALLS PLEASE
The NY NJ Regional Joint Board is an equal opportunity employer.